Thursday, December 6, 2012

Partner Spotlight: One Village Alliance

We received an amazing update on some of the work one of our partners is doing in the community and we thought it a perfect opportunity to share first-hand.  Let us introduce to some and familiarize with others, One Village Alliance.  They are committed to  ensuring that all children and their families receive the resources and support necessary to achieve success regardless of their social and economic status. Below you will read either a summary or first hand account of the success from two training programs offered by One Village Alliance (OVA) to the community.
Visit www.iamthevillage.org and enjoy:




Computer Skills Training Success
 
Nancy Goldfeder - Entered the program as a novice. She took the Beginners and Intermediate class.  She was very uneasy about going forward, but still entered the Enhanced class and did well.  She began applying for jobs and was hired on her third resume sent out.  She has been successfully working for two months now as a counselor.

Gwen Jones - Entered the program as somewhat knowledgeable with basic computer knowledge.  Passed the Beginners class, entered the Intermediate class and during that time took a test for a job and passed.  She took the job and tried to keep coming to the Intermediate class but her work schedule wouldn't permit that.  She comes occasionally for the Enhanced class when her schedule permits.

Marketta Allen - Entered the Beginner's class as a novice. Rose in the ranks as our top student and completed the class as Best Student.  She entered and completed the Intermediate class and was enrolled in the Enhanced Class but had to leave because she was successfully hired at a company.

Kathy Henry - Entered and passed the Beginners Class and enrolled in the Intermediate Class.  She was already working and upgrading her skill set.  She now says her job performance is much better and she is more valued on her job now. She intends to come back to complete the Intermediate class when time permits.


Construction & Maintenance Skills Training Success

"I actually decided to take a chance and enter this construction course because I had happy thoughts about the work I had done in Connecticut Department of Transportation and  at M Davis & Sons Industrial Contractors and I really thought I could do it. It was my impulsive nature that sometimes has me jumping before I really [think] about it [so that I don't] crash and burn several times until I either give up ormove onto something different or take what I've learned and grow from it and move onto the next thing that grabs my attention. This class was going to be my next adventure. It was  8 weeks, 40 hours in the construction maintenance field. Taking this course reopened my desire to actually go and do the rework/repair in the residential field. Everything being taught was something that I had experienced in oneway or another from those days in CT and when I got my first house and did the repairs on it with my own two hands.

It felt good to do that work. I guess you could say it was a sense of accomplishment. I had forgotten that feeling and gotten away from the work for some reason and never picked it up again until this class. I don't know whythe desire or want dropped off the radar scope andI'm glad its back on. I just wish it hadn't taken so many years to come to this realization.

I do want to thank Nancy Lopez and Chandra Pitts of One Village Alliance who were presenting this course at this time and I really want to thank Victor Morgan who was the instructor. I was supposed to be an intern for him and he made it easy to support him and help out on the class when needed.

He has been AWESOME and I have learned a lot from him and hope I get the chance to work with him again and when OVA gets it's funding and begin redoing the two homes I would like to be part of that. So tonight I graduated from the course and now chomping on the bit to go full steam ahead.

Take care and keep in touch,
Mike



 

No comments:

Post a Comment